Boo! Here are some of the seasonal events and activities going on over the next few weeks.
Remember: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Thursday, October 21st
Be sure to check out The Wonderbread Years at the CAM-PLEX Heritage Center at 7:00 p.m.
Friday, October 22nd
Pearls of the Prairie Wine Tasting Event at the Clarion Inn from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. For tickets call Patti at 686-5203.
Saturday, October 23rd
2nd Annual Bulb Bonanza - 9 a.m. at City West (611 N. Exchange) Volunteer to plant bulbs around town to beautify Gillette! Coffee and donuts provided. Just bring a shovel, a few friends and some comfortable work clothes.
25th Annual Charity Chili Cook-off - 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. @ CAM-PLEX Central Pavilion. This fundraiser for the Council of Community Services and the Y.E.S. House allows the public to sample red and green chili and salsa. Come on down!
Monday, October 25th
Campbell County Public Library - 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the library. Everyone attending must have a ticket, which are free at the Children's Desk. Wear your costume and bring a non-perishable food donations will be collected for the local soup kitchen.
Tuesday, October 26th
Campbell County Public Library - 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the library. Everyone attending must have a ticket, which are free at the Children's Desk. Wear your costumer and bring a non-perishable food donations will be collected for the local soup kitchen.
Thursday, October 28th
Ferdinand the Bull, a musical adaptation of Munro Leaf's storybook about Ferdinand, an unusal bull who prefers picking flowers to joining the bullfighters in the ring. Show begins at 6:30 p.m. at the CAM-PLEX Heritage Center.
Friday, October 29th
GPA/TV kicks off a marathon weekend of horror movies on GPA/TV Channel 31 beginning Friday at 8 p.m. and running through midnight on Halloween!
Saturday, October 30th
2nd Annual Ghostly Gallop 5K & 10K Fun Run & Walk at the Lakeway Learning Center (525 W. Lakeway Road). This event begins at 9:30 a.m. and is a fundraiser for the Powder River Symphony. Register Now!
Sunday, October 31st
CCMH Rehabilitation Services Haunted House from 4 p.m to 7 p.m. at the WORI Building (508 Stocktrail) This Haunted House will feature some of film's wildest and scariest characters. Ideal for Junior High ages and older. Have little ones (ages 2 to 10)? No worries, they can take a journey down the yellow brick road at the Wizard of WORI (Oz). The Haunted House will take place in the upper level of the WORI Building. Treats will be given out by CCMH Staff as visitors exit the building.
All trick or treaters should stop by the Gillette Police Department (201 E. 5th Street) from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. to meet McGruff the Crime Dog and pick up some candy! Please park on the Carey Avenue side (east side) of City Hall to get into the Police Department.
Friday, November 5th
Campbell County Public Health will be holding a community seasonal influenza clinic from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The seasonal flu vaccine contains Type A strains of H1N1 and H3N2 and a Type B strain. Vaccines are available for ages 6 months through 18 years at no cost. For those 19 years and older, the vaccines are available at a cost of $15. Parents must accompany children under 18 years of age.
Sunday, November 7th
Daylight Saving Time: it's that time of year to FALL BACK and set your clocks back one hour on Sunday, November 7th at 2 a.m.
And when re-setting your clocks you can also:
- Per the Campbell County Fire Department, it's also a good time to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms.
- Prepare a disaster supply kit for your house (water, food, flashlights, batteries, blankets).
- Winter is coming! Make a "winter car-emergency kit" now and put it in your vehicle! (Don't know what to include? Do an Internet search for "car emergency kit" and you'll find lots of ideas! It's a good idea to carry a car-emergency kit in your car year-round, but be sure to add cold-weather gear to your general car-emergency kit each fall. (Having a separate duffle/gear bag clearly marked "Cold Gear" specifically for your cold weather emergency gear makes it easy to add or take out of the car, seasonally.) Like a Boy Scout, "Be Prepared!"
- Check home and outbuilding storage areas for hazardous materials. Discard (properly, please) any which are outdated, no longer used, or in poor condition. Move any which are within reach of kids or pets to a safe and secure location.
- Check your medicine cabinet for unused or expired medications - those dates DO have a meaning! The best way to discard unused or expired prescription or over-the-counter medications is to bring them to the Gillette Police Department during business hours 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call 686-5288 for more info.
And a final reminder from the Animal Shelter: October is Adopt-a-Dog month!
Have a safe and great Halloween!
For more information contact Public Information Officer Joe Lunne at 307-686-5393.