The City of Gillette is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you would like to apply for a job opening, please select from the positions indicated below and complete the City of Gillette Application for Employment for that position on or before the closing date.
The City of Gillette does not accept applications for positions that are not posted nor will they be considered. All applications for employment are accepted for advertised vacant positions only and must be received by the closing date. No applications will be accepted or considered after 5:00 pm on the closing date of a position.
Applications are not used again for any other position; you must submit a separate application for each job opening. If interested in multiple positions, you must submit one application per position.
Each applicant shall complete and sign an application form prior to being considered for any position. Resumes may supplement, but not replace, the City of Gillette’s official application form.
The City of Gillette’s recruiting practices shall be conducted solely on the basis of ability, merit, qualifications and competence, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
Any employee who has been found to have submitted false or misleading information on their application form or resume is subject to immediate termination.
Notice: The City of Gillette conducts a post offer, pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check for all positions.
Click here to sign up for notifications of current
employment opportunities with the City of Gillette.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$17.88 to $25.04 per Hour
- Posted Date:03/14/2019
- Deadline to Apply:03/28/2019
NATURE/PURPOSE OF WORK:
Under close supervision, provides a variety of support and assistance in the monitoring, installation, maintenance, repair and related tasks associated with the operation of the City of Gillette wastewater treatment and collection system.
The following EXAMPLES OF DUTIES are NOT intended as a comprehensive list. These provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbents may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Assists with the collection and testing of wastewater plant liquids and solids. Obtains samples. Performs testing on compost and streams. Records results. Monitors and calculates chemical feed rates. Observes and assists with the assessment, diagnosis, and performing of preventative and restorative maintenance and repairs. Observes and participates in the identification, installation and testing of parts. Assists with ordering/re-ordering of parts and/or supplies utilized in repair.
Observes and participates in changing of filters, lubrication of motors, valves and other mechanical items/equipment.
Assists with responding to customer inquiries and/or complaints. As authorized, undertakes repairs and/or advises appropriate authorities regarding source of problem(s). Participates in sewer line, manhole and related service line installation and repair. Operates a variety of generally utilized hand tools and equipment. Undertakes and performs tests, maintenance and repairs.
Checks and replaces chlorine and other chemical tanks as authorized. Cleans, repairs, paints, cuts grass and performs other facility and/or site grounds and related maintenance tasks. Responds to emergency calls for service and repair.
Prepares and presents written and oral reports and other presentations for internal and external audiences.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of applicable city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the City’s and the Department’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of files and records management.
- Knowledge of the principles of inventory control.
- Knowledge of the principles of customer service.
- Knowledge of the use of general to specialized construction and/or water system tools and equipment.
- Skill in reading, understanding, interpreting and applying relevant city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Skill in assessing and handling multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skill in working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other City employees, representatives from other city, county, state and/or Federal agencies, vendors, contractors, the general public and/or others having business with the City of Gillette.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software and operating systems/applications.
A high school diploma or GED AND one (1) year of relevant construction, plumbing, building and/or system maintenance or closely related experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Must be able to obtain within one (1) year of employment and must maintain a State of Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Level 1 wastewater certification.
- May be required to obtain a State of Wyoming DEQ Level 2 Wastewater treatment certification and or Wyoming DEQ Level 2 Wastewater Collection certification.
- Must obtain within ninety (90) days of employment and must maintain a State of Wyoming Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with air brake and tanker endorsements.
- May be required to obtain within a specified period other licenses and/or certification required to perform the functions of the position.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, materials and/or other items weighing up to 45 pounds.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, potential physical harm, hazardous material, extreme weather conditions and infectious diseases.
- May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule.
- May be subject to call out and/or call-back.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the required City of Gillette application, which is available on the City website at www.gillettewy.gov/employ or contact Human Resources at 201 E 5th St, Gillette, WY 82716.
Application Deadline: March 28, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Pre-Employment Drug Screening Conducted. Equal Opportunity Employer