The City of Gillette is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you would like to apply for a job opening, please select from the positions indicated below and complete the City of Gillette Application for Employment for that position on or before the closing date.
The City of Gillette does not accept applications for positions that are not posted nor will they be considered. All applications for employment are accepted for advertised vacant positions only and must be received by the closing date. No applications will be accepted or considered after 5:00 pm on the closing date of a position.
Applications are not used again for any other position; you must submit a separate application for each job opening. If interested in multiple positions, you must submit one application per position.
Each applicant shall complete and sign an application form prior to being considered for any position. Resumes may supplement, but not replace, the City of Gillette’s official application form.
The City of Gillette’s recruiting practices shall be conducted solely on the basis of ability, merit, qualifications and competence, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
Any employee who has been found to have submitted false or misleading information on their application form or resume is subject to immediate termination.
Notice: The City of Gillette conducts a post offer, pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check for all positions.
Click here to sign up for notifications of current
employment opportunities with the City of Gillette.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$17.02 to $23.84 per Hour
- Posted Date:04/25/2019
NATURE/PURPOSE OF WORK: Under general supervision, undertakes and performs a variety of duties related to maintenance and repair of City of Gillette streets, sidewalks, storm drainage, signs and markings and the right of ways.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs a variety of duties associated with the maintenance and repair of the City of Gillette’s streets, drainage channels, storm sewers and right of ways.
- Performs snow removal and applies various deicing materials.
- Operates heavy equipment to maintain streets, drainage channels, storm sewers, right of ways and other related infrastructure such as loaders, backhoes, vactor truck, dump truck with plow, blade and skid steer.
- Operates a variety of light equipment such as weed eaters, hand mowers, jack hammers, chain saws, chop saws and any other light equipment as needed to maintain city owned infrastructure.
- Assists in the installation and maintenance of dewatering wells.
- Hauls dirt and rock to various projects.
- Assists with maintenance of street signs.
- Installs barricades and portable signs for road closures.
- Cleans and maintains storm drains and channels.
- Mows grass and controls weeds in City right of ways.
- Removes graffiti from City owned infrastructure; reports vandalism to police department.
- Oversees day to day and on-going part time, seasonal and/or other workers.
- Provides direction, assistance and/or training, as required.
- Performs routine clerical duties; inventories, orders and maintains required materials and supplies for the Department.
OTHER DUTIES OF JOB
- Attends meetings and training sessions, as required.
- May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule and is subject to call out and/or call-back.
- Responds to inquiries made in writing, by phone and/or in person, as required.
- Performs other job-related duties, as required.
Receives daily instruction from Streets Lead Operators in regards to daily work duties.
Provides daily instruction to seasonal employees, when applicable.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, hazardous chemicals, potential physical harm, extreme weather conditions and infectious diseases.
- Travels daily to various locations throughout the City.
- May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL CONDITIONS
- Must possess ability to record, convey and present information, explain procedures and follow instructions.
- Dexterity requirements range from simple to coordinated movements of fingers/hands; feet/legs; torso necessary to carry out duties of job.
- Must be able to occasionally climb, lift, bend, kneel, rotate, grip, push, pull, walk and sit frequently.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, materials and/or other items weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Must be able to move frequently throughout the work day.
- Must demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must be able to pay close attention to details and concentrate on work.
1. A high school diploma or GED required.
2. Must have or obtain within three (3) months of employment and must maintain a Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) with air brake and tanker endorsement.
3. May be required to obtain within a specified period of time and must maintain licenses, certifications and/or registration required by a specific work assignment.
B. WORK EXPERIENCE
One year of relevant construction, heavy equipment, street maintenance or closely related experience or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of applicable city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the City’s and the Department’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of file and records management.
- Knowledge of the operation of a variety of tools and construction-related equipment.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of inventory control.
- Knowledge of the principles of basic streets maintenance.
- Skill in reading, understanding, interpreting and applying relevant city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skill in working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Skill in assessing, analyzing, identifying and implementing solutions to problems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other City employees, representatives from other city, county, state and/or Federal agencies, the news media, general public and/or others having business with the City of Gillette.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software and operating systems/applications.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the required City of Gillette application, which is available on the City website at www.gillettewy.gov/employ or contact Human Resources at 201 E 5th St, Gillette, WY 82716.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Pre-Employment Drug Screening Conducted. Equal Opportunity Employer