The City of Gillette is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you would like to apply for a job opening, please select from the positions indicated below and complete the City of Gillette Application for Employment for that position on or before the closing date.
The City of Gillette does not accept applications for positions that are not posted nor will they be considered. All applications for employment are accepted for advertised vacant positions only and must be received by the closing date. No applications will be accepted or considered after 5:00 pm on the closing date of a position.
Applications are not used again for any other position; you must submit a separate application for each job opening. If interested in multiple positions, you must submit one application per position.
Each applicant shall complete and sign an application form prior to being considered for any position. Resumes may supplement, but not replace, the City of Gillette’s official application form.
The City of Gillette’s recruiting practices shall be conducted solely on the basis of ability, merit, qualifications and competence, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by state or local law.
Any employee who has been found to have submitted false or misleading information on their application form or resume is subject to immediate termination.
Notice: The City of Gillette conducts a post offer, pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check for all positions.
Click here to sign up for notifications of current
employment opportunities with the City of Gillette.
Building Service Worker (Custodian)
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$14.31 to $20.05/Hour
- Posted Date:05/09/2019 3:15 PM
NATURE/PURPOSE OF WORK: Under general supervision, undertakes, performs and provides custodial, maintenance and related activities for buildings, facilities and related areas for the City of Gillette.
JOB FUNCTIONS/DUTIES: Performs routine and/or specialized facilities maintenance duties. Removes trash, mops floors, vacuums carpeted areas, dusts furniture, cleans offices and common areas. Cleans and disinfects bathrooms and locker rooms. Shampoos carpets. Checks and fills soap, lotion and toilet paper dispensers. Performs equipment set-up and teardown procedures for meetings. Receives, sorts and prepares various materials for recycling as required. Inspects, replaces and disposes of lights. Replaces ceiling tile when needed. Performs rodent, reptile and insect control. Secures buildings and facilities. Locks and unlocks door.
Inspects fire extinguishers. Performs repairs of vacuums, water fountains, furniture and other related equipment. Serves on a variety of committees. Point of contact for vendors. Oversees contractors performing work. Coordinates demonstration of new products and equipment by vendors. Assists with moving of offices and furniture. Identifies and reports broken and damaged equipment. Undertakes and/or assists with painting projects as required.
Updates and maintains a variety of written documents and reports. As required, responds to inquiries made in writing, by phone and/or in person. Attends meetings as required. Orders and maintains cleaning materials and related supplies. Posts a variety of flyers and pictures for city functions.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Knowledge of applicable city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the City’s and the Department’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of file and records management.
- Knowledge of the principles of inventory control.
- Knowledge of the principles of janitorial and custodial procedures.
- Skill in reading, understanding, interpreting and applying relevant city, county, state and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes, regulations, administrative orders, case law and other governing rules and regulations.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Skill in working within deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
- Skill in assessing, analyzing, identifying and implementing solutions to problems.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with co-workers, other City employees, representatives from other city, county, state and/or Federal agencies, general public and/or others having business with the City of Gillette.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of software and operating systems/applications.
- A high school diploma.
- Six (6) months of relevant janitor, custodian, building maintenance or closely related experience or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
May be required to lift and/or carry materials and/or other items weighing up to 55 pounds. This position requires a variety of walking, kneeling, pushing, pulling and elevated work.
May be exposed to dangerous machinery, potential physical harm, hazardous chemicals, extreme weather conditions and infectious diseases.
May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule.
May be subject to call out and/or callback.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Pre-Employment Drug Screening Conducted. Equal Opportunity Employer