Join us September 16 for a memorial run/walk, followed by a BBQ, in memory of: Justin Lambert-Belanger, Morgan McLeland, Cody Brown, Kyle Johnson, Josh Jones, Kevin Salverson, Nick Schabron, and Shane Shatto.
“This memorial run is a wonderful way for people to honor our eight former Cowboys,” said current University of Wyoming cross country coach Randy Cole. “The people of Gillette have put a lot of effort into organizing this event, and we encourage people to support this worthwhile tribute to the memory of these young men.”
"Why We Run for the Memory of the 8" Story Map
When: September 16
Where: M&K Oil
901 South 4J Road
What: 8-Mile Figure 8 Loop Run, 5K Walk/Run, or "Come Run with Me" Kids Run
Time: "Come Run with Me" Kids Run starts at 3:30 p.m.
8-Mile and 5K Walk/Run start at 4:00 p.m.
BBQ and Social to follow
Registration: There is no registration fee! However, donations are welcome. Shirts & hats will be available for purchase. You can register on the day of the event at 2:00 p.m.
You can find more information on the Memory of the 8 Facebook page or call (307) 686-1030.
Mile 1 - Dedicated to Cody Brown
Cody Brown (Junior, 5-11, Hudson, CO, Psychology major)
• One of top milers in the program
• Placed 33rd at the 2000 MWC Cross Country Championship
• Career-bests: 800-meter 1:55
Mile run 4:27
Mile 2 - Dedicated to Kyle Johnson
Kyle Johnson (Soph., 6-5, Riverton, WY, Civil Engineering major)
• One of team’s top five cross country athletes
• Placed 40th at the 2000 MWC XC Championship
• Career-bests: 800m: 1:59
Mile 3 - Dedicated to Josh Jones
Joshua Jones (Sr., 6-0, Salem, OR, Psychology major)
• One of top 800m runners for the Cowboys
• Career-bests: 400m 49.9
Mile 4 - Dedicated to Justin Lambert-Belanger
Justin Lambert-Belanger, undeclared sophomore in the College of
Arts and Sciences from Timmins, Ontario, and a transfer student
from Campbell University. Awarded a Western Heritage Scholarship.
Mile 5 - Dedicated to Kevin Salverson
Kevin Salverson (Soph., 5-8, Cheyenne, WY, Undeclared major)
• One of the team’s top mid-distance runners
• Four-time all-state selection and two-time state champion
• Career-bests: 800m 1:57
Mile 6 - Dedicated to Nick Schabron
Nick Schabron (Soph., 6-1, Laramie, WY, Architectural Engineering major)
• Placed 42nd at the 2000 MWC XC Championship
• Wyoming 4A state runner-up in the mile in 2000
• Won the mile run at the 2000 Wyoming Meet of Champions
• Career-bests: 800m 1:58.8
Mile 7 - Dedicated to Shane Shatto
Shane Shatto, sophomore in mechanical engineering from Douglas, WY;
Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity; Interfraternity Council representative to the Associated Students of UW. Awarded a High School Honor Scholarship.
Mile 8 - Dedicated to Morgan McLeland
Morgan McLeland (Soph., 5-10, Gillette, WY, Undeclared major)
• 3-time all-state selection in cross country at Campbell County HS
• Wyoming state champion in cross country senior year
• Set course record at 2000 state championships
• Career-best: 800-meter: 1:59