Are you interested in operating a business from your home? If so, did you know that the City of Gillette allows this provided you obtain a Home Occupation Permit? There is no fee for this permit, however, fees will be charged for any building permits that may be required for remodeling.
The intent of the standards for home occupations is to maintain the character of residential neighborhoods. To obtain approval for a home occupation, the following standards must be met and will need to be addressed in writing:
1) The business shall be conducted entirely within the residence or a legally-complying accessory structure and operated only by the people living there and no others.
2) Such use shall be clearly incidental and secondary to the dwelling use of the property and shall not change the residential character thereof.
3) The total area used for a home-based business shall not exceed twenty percent (20%) of the combined gross floor area of a single-family residence and legally complying accessory structure(s), or twenty percent (20%) of the gross floor area of the tenants dwelling unit in a multiple family residence (attach floor plan with square footage).
4) There shall be no exterior storage on the premises of materials or equipment used as part of the home-based business.
5) There shall be no offensive noise, vibration, smoke, dust, odors, heat, glare or electrical interference noticeable at or beyond the property line.
Example: auto body repair, auto mechanics, cabinet shop, etc.
6) A home-based business shall provide additional off-street parking of one (1) paved parking space for each two hundred (200) square feet of gross floor area occupied by the home-based business.
7) A sign, not to exceed two (2) square feet in size, identifying the home-based business may be permitted, provided the sign is “flush mounted” to the residence and does not alter the residential character of the home.
Fees: There is no fee for the zoning permit. However, fees will be charged for any building permits that may be required for remodeling.
Transferability: A permit for a home-based business is not transferable from person to person or from address to address.
Traffic: No traffic shall be generated in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood.
Home Occupation Information [PDF]
If you feel you meet these seven standards and are interested in obtaining a Home Occupation Permit, please call the Code Compliance Division at (307) 686-5309.