City West Building
611 N Exchange Ave.
Gillette, WY 82716
Phone (307) 686-5279
Fax (307) 687-2539
Send an E-mail
The City of Gillette’s Solid Waste Division consists of one Solid Waste Supervisor, one Lead and seven Operators. They are responsible for collecting all City residential and commercial customer’s trash, five days a week within City limits. By 5:00 a.m. there are two operators on route picking up commercial solid waste. Five drivers run residential garbage/refuse routes, and one driver runs the yard waste route. This is considered an automated service, and drivers normally do not get out of their trucks. Solid Waste enters residential areas at 7:00 a.m. so it is important to always have your roll out to the curb by then. Trucks are equipped with GPS, so staff can see what time they were at a certain address. If your roll out was logged by the driver as not being out and you request that they return, a charge of $17.65 per roll out may be applied to your monthly utility bill.
Holidays - If a holiday is on a weekday Monday through Thursday, Solid Waste will run double routes the following day, for example; Memorial Day is always on a Monday so they will do a double route on Tuesday, picking up both Monday’s and Tuesday’s trash. If the holiday is on a Friday, they will do the double route on Monday.
Wind - This always creates special challenges for our Solid Waste Division. A clean and beautiful City is our top priority. City Ordinance states all trash must be bagged, this is necessary to keep trash from blowing while the container is being tipped to empty. The wind can cause the roll outs to tip over or blow garbage out. Please be sure garbage is bagged, tied and the lid on the roll out is shut, as it is easier to pick up a bag of trash than individual pieces.
Illegal dumping or Theft of Service - This is when someone puts garbage or debris in or around another customer’s container without their permission. This is stealing space in another customer’s container, and creates a problem for the customer and for the City. If you witness this occurring, please contact the Gillette Police Dept. at 682-5155. If someone is caught illegal dumping, they will be ticketed by the Police Department. If you have too much trash for your roll out, the Campbell County Landfill allows 12 free dumps per year of Municipal Solid Waste (household trash) per residential address within Campbell County. A copy of your driver license or vehicle registration is required.
Do's of Solid Waste Refuse:
• Always have the container out by 7:00 a.m. and off the street by 6:00 p.m. on your collection day.
• All refuse should be bagged, tied and the lid is able to close.
• Roll out containers should be set at least 5 feet from any obstacles.
• Whether you use a 3-yard dumpster or roll out, only house hold garbage is allowed in the container.
Don’ts of Solid Waste Refuse:
• Don't put ashes in your refuse receptacle.
• Don't put animal carcasses, motor oil, dirt, concrete, or construction material in your container.
Curbside Yard Waste - Collection starts in April and runs through November. Yard waste is collected and hauled to the Yard Waste Facility at the Wastewater Treatment Facility on Garner Lake Road.
• Yard waste containers should be out by 7:00 a.m. and off the street by 6:00 p.m. on your collection day.
• Do not bag your yard waste or put trash in your yard waste container, and lid should be able to close.
• Yard waste containers should be set at least 5 ft. from any obstacles.
Recycling – There are two recycling programs available to Gillette residents. Information can be found on the Recycling webpage.